Friday, February 24, 2017
6:30pm (ride starts at 7:15pm)
150 NW First Street
The ride will be going through Riverside, East Little Havana, Shenandoah, Coral Gate, Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Little Havana, Calle Ocho, and Downtown. Total distance is approximately 11 miles. This is a short ride and ideal for beginners, if you've been meaning to participate in the ride and never have in the past, then this short route is suggested. Make sure you come prepared and read The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Bicycling.
W. Flagler Street is under reconstruction. Only 2 lanes are open, please obey all road closed signage. Do not weave in & out of barricade drums. Do not ride on closed lanes!
All eyes appear to be on Miami Critical Mass and it’s time for participants to prove the opposition wrong. Everyone riding is solely responsible for their actions and should lead by example. If you see someone riding or behaving irresponsibly, then let them know it’s not acceptable. If you’re partaking in the ride, then it’s your duty to positively influence others. Ride safely and be courteous to everyone in the community, if you can’t do this then quite simply you are not welcomed. There’s no room for hostile, drunk, moronic individuals. There are a lot of great people on these rides, enjoying their city by bicycle for 1-2 hours on the last Friday of every month, and it’s rather unfortunate that a few bad apples can ruin this special occurrence for everyone else. To frustrated motorists, borrow a bicycle and try joining the ride sometime with some friends. You never know, you just may experience one of the most fun, free, and healthy social gatherings South Florida has to offer.
Bicycle Rules & Safety Tips
- Stay in the right lane, and do not ride across middle line on the road into opposite travel lane
- Yield to emergency vehicles.
- Leave left side of road open for other riders to pass safely. Pass on the left.
- No Headphones! While riding a bicycle it is illegal to wear a headset, headphone or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.
- Safety Lights: Front & rear lights are required by law in the State of Florida.
- Kids under 16 years of age must wear helmets.
- Do not ride on the sidewalk.
- Passing: A passing cyclist is responsible for the safety of the cyclist that is being passed. When passing ring a bell and/or say "on your left".
- Yield to pedestrians and buses.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages or illegal activity during ride.
- Do not filter forward past stopped cars at a red light.
- Skateboarders, inline skaters and recumbent bikes are welcomed, exercise caution.
- Do not litter or vandalize any property.
- Stopping: If you must stop to check your bike, phone, gear etc please move over to the sidewalk when it's clear. Do not stop abruptly in the middle of the street with the mass behind you. You will more than likely cause a cyclist to hit you and/or swerve and hit someone else.
- Always perform an "ABC Quick" Bike Check to ensure that your bike is in safe working order.
Rent a bike at the start of the ride from CitiBike .
Cue Notes: (map)
Start at Government Center 7:15pm
Proceed west to W Flagler St *Road Construction*
LEFT - SW 12th Ave
RIGHT - Coral Way
RIGHT - Ponce De Leon Blvd
RIGHT - SW 8th St (Calle Ocho)
LEFT - SW 12th Ave
RIGHT - SW 1st St
LEFT - SW 2nd Ave
End at Government Center